Beheira, Fayoum, Sharkeya, Beni Suef:Primary Schools Construction Programme (PSCP)
Assistance and execution of activities in the following domains, including training of counterpart staff in each discipline.
- Socio-economic surveys
- GIS-supported target area and school site selection procedure
- Support in enhancement of the educational building planning process
- Building standards, specifications and contract documents
- Preparation of deficiency reports and cost estimates
- Tender evaluation and award
- Disbursement procdures and fund management
- Installation of a decentralised maintenance scheme
Supervision of implementation
- Execution of construction works
- Supply and installation of furnishings
Decentralised maintenance scheme
- Establishment and budgeting
- Monitoring and accounting
- Quality assurance in technical terms
- Organization, time and cost control
- Ex-post sample surveys in the socio-economic domain
- GIS supported monitoring
Dorsch International Consultants GmbH
Phone: +49 89 5797-0
Fax: +49 89 5797-800
Under the auspices of a financial cooperation programme funded by the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau in Frankfurt, the Client is investing € 87.5 million in the rehabilitation and extension of existing primary schools, and the construction of new facilities. A total of 580 sites have been targeted, covering widely disparate social conditions,.of which 470 projects were completed by the end of 2004.
Although the Client already has a full spectrum of standards in the engineering and contractual domains, an injection of funds and some technical assistance is urgently needed to increase the overall literacy rate, and this under more congenial conditions.
PSCP activities focus especially on providing children from lower income strata with adequate access to basic education. Improving gender equality in the sector (educational opportunities for girls) plays another important role.
The programme is implemented in a series of staggered bidding lots. All construction works are carried out by local contractors providing job opportunities to people living in the programme areas.
A particular feature of the programme is the development and application of a state-of-the-art geographical information system (GIS) database for the upgrading and updating of the school mapping system; this system, developed using remote sensing techniques, serves to define and locate school requirements on a governorate level for individual villages, optimize school locations within each catchment area (thereby minimizing walking distances, for example) and assist with site layouts.