Governorates Sharkia, Gharbia, Damietta and Beheira:Improved Water and Wastewater Services Programme (IWSP), Technical Assistance Component for the HCWW (Lot A)
- Improvement of water and wastewater treatment infrastructure.
- Improvement of physical infrastructure and organizational capacities of the HCWW.
- Detailed needs analysis and work programming
- Strategic environmental assessment (SEA)
- Establishing and maintaining the IWSP management (project management unit (PMU), steering committee, manual of procedures).
The programme gave access to investment financing worth nearly €20 per person in the programme area, together with the other donor and local funding which brought significant improvements in the level of service. In order to improve the financial situation of the ACs a strong emphasis was given to linking the selected investment measures to the objectives of:
- Service improvement.
- Public perception improvement.
- Increase of revenues.
- Optimisation of operating costs.
The programme aimed at improving the water and sewerage services provided by the Affiliated Companies (ACs) in the four Governorates Sharkia, Gharbia, Damietta and Beheira for a total population of 16.3 million. The programme was carried out in a two-phase approach where Phase 1 covered the immediate impact measures comprising mainly of rehabilitation works amounting to about 55 % of the total investment requirements, and Phase 2 covered new investments for wastewater amounting to about 45 % of investments. The objective of Phase 1 was to increase the cost recovery of the ACs while Phase 2 provided new investment to extend service coverage. For each AC the trigger for starting Phase 2 required achievement of milestones on cost recovery and collection efficiency.
The programme consisted of two components:
- Investment Component improving the physical water supply and wastewater collection and treatment facilities of the ACs in the Governorates of Sharkia, Gharbia, Damietta and Beheira, to ensure universal and equitable sanitation and access to safe drinking water
- Technical Assistance (TA) Component, Lot A to strengthen the capacities of the HCWW and Lot B to strengthen the capabilities of the ACs.